Here is a spin on traditional mashed potatoes! Great for one who is trying to use extra garden produce. With a few secret ingredients.
They taste amazing!
19 Red Potatoes, chopped
- 10 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Apples, cored and chopped
*** A few more ingredients are below
Kitchen Tidbit #1.
When boiling water for mashed potatoes or any other vegetable...Instead of tossing the water, use it to make a pot of soup. Or at least let it cool and feed it to your chickens.
Bring to a boil all the above ingredients in a large stock pot.
When they are tender, drain off the water.
Mash them as you would regular mashed potatoes. Here's what I recommend adding to them...
Second Ingredients List:
Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1.5 cups butter
- 1-4 cloves Fresh minced garlic
- Optional: A little milk to make them a little more moist
- Optional: Any herbs or spices you feel like adding!
- Kitchen Tidbit #2. When it comes to peeling vegetables think twice. If you don’t need to peel it don’t! There is nothing wrong with skins on potatoes, carrots, & broccoli, etc. I only peel if the skins are bad. The nutrients in the skins don’t need to be wasted. And mashed potatoes are great with the skins on! :-)
- Kitchen Tidbit #3. Use the hand blender to blend up your mashed potatoes! Make sure there is enough moisture in the potatoes so they blend nicely. (AKA butter, milk, and/or broth, etc.)
So simple and yet so delicious! They are a great way to enjoy mashed potatoes with a little variety. :-)